Careers, jobs and internships
Recipe for success? Add some Economics to the mix!
Contact us and have a chat, you may be pleasantly surprised at how papers in Economics can provide you with more career options in the workplace, make you more competitive for employment opportunities and can enhance your way of thinking about every day business and life issues.
Keep returning to this page as more links and employment opportunities will be added regularly.
We will also include fixed term projects on this page, as they become available and are advised to us by various organisations. If you are a student taking economics papers then we will also email you during the Semester with any information relating to summer employment or internship positions available.
Remember to diarise the deadline dates for internships and graduate roles to ensure you don't miss the closing dates for applications.
Employer visits to campus
See which potential employers are visiting campus this year ! Don't miss out on your chance to impress them and land yourself an internship or interview ... you can also go along and use these sessions to ask questions about future prospects with them if you are graduating in a year or two !
Ernst Young - EY - Applications are open for their Graduate and Internship Programmes from Monday 27th February
The Reserve Bank of New Zealand is looking for new interns and scholarship recipients ... they are also visiting the Waikato Campus in March 2017 to meet with you and to talk about a career with the RBNZ. Their scholarships open soon so check out the "more info" link ... they are wanting to talk with 2nd year, 3rd year, 4th year, Hons and Masters students.
The prestigious Rhodes Scholarship offers very generous funding for (second) bachelors, masters, or doctoral studies at Oxford University. Applicants need to be young (e.g. applicants must be under twenty-five as at October), have good grades, exhibit leadership potential, and be involved in their community.
This Scholarship is for citizens of New Zealand. If you have permanent residence but could soon gain citizenship, it could still be worth visiting the website to gain more information for a future application. Further information and the application documents for the Rhodes Scholarship are available from the UNZ website.
Prospective applicants should contact Gwenda in the Scholarships Office before applying.
Internships and Graduate programmes
External Internships and Graduate Programmes
- Asian Development Bank - Internship assignments - For more information visit their internship program website
- MFAT Summer Internship facebook link
- IAG Graduate Programme - see the link for the opportunities available
- NZ Productivity Commission Summer Internship
- Asia New Zealand Foundation - see the link for internship and grant opportunities
- ANZ Summer Internship
- Motu Internship opportunities
- Westpac Internship Programme
- BNZ Graduate Programme
- Toyota Graduate Programme
Major employers of economics graduates - career opportunities
- Opportunities at Business Schools around the Globe
- ADB Institute research fellow opportunity
- The Treasury employment opportunities
- The Reserve Bank employment opportunities
- ANZ Bank career opportunities
- Inland Revenue Department career opportunities
- NZ Police career opportunities
- BNZ career opportunities
- Waikato District Health Board career opportunities
- ASB career opportunties
- Westpac career opportunities
University of Waikato Career Development Services
You may also want to check out the Waikato Careers Facebook page