Ethical Consent For Human Research
Any staff or students at Waikato Management School who are planning to conduct a research project that involves collecting data from people and/or organisations (including research, evaluation, observation and consulting) will first need to obtain ethics approval from the WMS Ethics Committee.
Ethical approval MUST be obtained prior to commencing the data collection phase of the research.
This page contains information about Waikato Management School's processes for ethical approval, including the University of Waikato's regulations, links to the appropriate documents; and a description of the procedure to follow.
Ethics applications should be submitted online via Ethics Approval.
If you have any questions about the ethics application process, please contact the WMS Research Manager, Amanda Sircombe, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone (07) 838 4376, room MSB.3.17.
Procedure for staff and students
- Staff/Student must gain ethics approval from the Waikato Management School's Ethics Committee before they commence collecting data.
- Staff/Student will need to complete the required Waikato Management School Ethical Application documents, and in the case of a student application, have them approved by their Supervisor.
- Applications forms are to be submitted online via MyWeb
- Your ethics application will be forwarded to a member of the Waikato Management School's Ethics Committee for consideration.
- Applicants should allow at least two weeks for their application to be reviewed by the WMS Ethics Committee
- If there are any requests for additional information or modifications to your application you will be contacted via email
- Applications will be returned to the Research Manager, who will notify you whether or not approval has been granted
- Once ethical approval has been granted, a copy of the approved application will be sent to you.
- Documentation relating to an application for ethical approval will be held on file by the Research Manager
If you have any questions about the ethics application process, please contact Amanda Sircombe, WMS Research Manager, email email@example.com or phone (07) 838 4376.
Ethics applications for all research projects
Please submit your ethics application for all research projects (except 499 projects) using the following documents:
- Application cover sheet (word, 432kb)This form states that you agree to abide by the University's Ethics Regulations.
- Applying for Research Ethics (word, 260kb)
This document will guide you in completing your application.
- Outline of Research Project (word, 280kb)This gives a detailed description of your intended research project. It covers research methodology; your intended processes; and how you will guarantee confidentiality.
- A Participant Information Sheet (word, 227kb)This is the document you will be giving to your participants to explain your project to them.
- Consent Form (word, 241kb)Participants need to read this form and sign it, this shows that they consented that the information they are giving can be used in this study.
- A copy of your interview questions or questionnaire or survey.
Ethics applications for 499 projects
Waikato Management School has separate ethics documentation for students applying for ethics approval for a 499: Report of an Investigation project.
Please go to the 499 research ethics page for further information and documentation.
Ethics applications for undergraduate courses
WMS course convenors must apply for ethics approval for any papers (excluding 499 papers) where, as part of the assessment, students have to complete a research project that involves interviewing human participants. The ethics guidelines emphasise getting informed consent, minimising risk to participants, and being socially and culturally sensitive.
It takes at least two weeks for ethics applications to be reviewed, so we strongly advise early submission of applications. Researchers must gain ethics approval before data collection has begun. Ethics approval will not be granted retrospectively.
Please note: Course covenors ddon't need to submit a new ethics application for the same paper every semester unless there are major changes to the paper or the assignment. If there are no major changes, please email Amanda Sircombe and ask for course approval to be renewed.
Applications for Course Ethics Approval must be completed using the specific WMS documentation:
- Application for Course Ethics Approval (for WMS Staff) (word, 271kb)
Other useful documents
- Research Ethics Guidelines (word, 250kb) - short list of what to do
- Red Flags (word, 247kb) - issues to be aware of
- Guidelines for Professional Practice and Community Contact in the Conduct of University Activity
- Common modifications requested
WMS Ethics Committee
University ethics regulations
Waikato Management School follows the University of Waikato's regulations and guidelines on Human Research Ethics Regulations 2008.
Information on these regulations can be found at the following locations:
- University of Waikato Calendar > Assessment > Ethical Conduct
- 'Ethical Conduct in Human Research and Related Activities Regulations 2008' on pages 111-121 of the University of Waikato 2009 University Calendar
- 'Student Research Regulations' on pages 109-110 of the University of Waikato 2009 Calendar
Summer School research projects
If you are planning any research projects over summer school, or will be supervising any student research projects between December to February, please submit your ethics application (using the online Ethics Portal) by the end of November to ensure it gets reviewed and approved in time.
No ethics applications will be processed or reviewed between mid-December and the first two weeks of January.