Discover SWUFE Scholarships
Applications for the 2018 round of this scholarship have not yet opened. Please check back in February 2018.
Waikato Management School is offering two lucky students an all-expenses-paid trip to China from 2 to 15 July 2017 to take part in this year's 'Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp'.
This is an amazing opportunity for two of our management students to experience an authentic taste of modern Chinese life, business and culture.
These scholarships are generously co-funded by the Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE), one of China's leading business schools, based in the rapidly expanding city of Chengdu, in Sichuan province.
You'll enjoy a 14-day packed itinerary of business lectures and cultural activities, and get to make friends with a diverse group of 80 international students from countries all over the world.
Applications for the scholarships are open until 13 March 2017 at 4pm.
What is the SWUFE experience like?
Last year Waikato Management School selected four students to attend the Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp 2016. You can read about their experiences and see photos here.
To be considered for the Discover SWUFE Scholarship, you must:
- Be a full-time Waikato Management School student in 2nd year or above
- Have already completed at least 120 points towards your degree (eg. eight 100-level papers, worth 15 points each)
- Have a grade-point average of at least B+ (75-79%)
- Be a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be willing to take photos/videos of your experience in China, and write a short blog for the WMS website once you return home.
Programme of activities
The theme of this year's Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp is 'Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship in China' (PDF). The following activities are included:
- Attend lectures at SWUFE about Chinese history, politics, culture and economic development - delivered in English
- Visit world heritage sites such as the Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuary, the famous Wuhou Shrine, Mount Qingcheng, the Giant Buddha at Leshan, and much more
- Chinese cooking and calligraphy workshops
- Enjoy a traditional Sichuan theatre mask changing and fire performance
- Visits to local businesses in Chengdu
- Free time for shopping and sightseeing
Each scholarship includes your course fees, accommodation, meals, and organised group excursions to a variety of tourist attractions. Waikato Management School will pay for your flights to/from China.
You will be responsible for paying any costs related to your visa application and travel/health insurance.
How to apply
To apply for this once-in-a-lifetime experience, please email the information below to Lingling Pan (manager of WMS International Programme) at email@example.com before 4pm on Monday, 13 March 2017.
- A 200-word personal statement outlining the reasons for your interest in China and the SWUFE summer camp
- A written nomination (up to 200 words) from one of your lecturers in Waikato Management School
- A copy of your ‘GPA letter’ and ‘Results notice’ to show you have a grade-point average (GPA) of at least B+ or 6.0 (75-79%)**. For copies of these, please visit the University Student Centre, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
** Your GPA for this scholarship will be based on the 2016 grading scale, for details click here
Successful applicants will be notified by Waikato Management School by mid-April 2017. If you are successful, you will then be required to complete the official SWUFE online application form by 30 April 2017. Lingling will provide details on how to do this at the time.
WMS International Exchange Scholarship
If you are not successful in being chosen for a SWUFE scholarship this year, please consider applying for a WMS International Exchange Scholarship instead.
This prestigious scholarship provides up to $2,500 to help you study for 1-2 semesters at one of Waikato's partner universities in more than 20 countries across Europe, Asia, North America and Mexico. You'll pay the same fees as usual, and can credit the points back to your degree at Waikato!
Waikato Management School allocates 12 exchange scholarships to our students each year. Applications are due by March for exchanges in B Semester; and August for exchanges in A Semester.
Please note: Before applying, you'll first need to be formally accepted into the University of Waikato's Student Exchange programme, which is based in the International Office.