Language And Learning Development (MSC)
Improve your writing and academic skills
Language and Learning Development services are offered as a free service to all Waikato Management School students.
Our tutors can offer you advice and guidance with your academic writing, reading, and oral tasks. They can work with you on a previously marked assignment, a completed assignment, or on any stage of your writing process, such as planning, or structuring. They can also help you to master academic skills such as APA referencing and teach you how to avoid plagiarism.
- Individual or small group, 30-minute tutorials with a Language and Learning tutor
- A 'Learning to Succeed' programme for new students
- Download our 'Academic Stepping Stones' guide.
- Online learning support at Language and Learning Support
- Online language support at Guide to Grammar and Writing
- Writing Competency Module (WCM) support teaching
How to book a 30-minute tutorial
To book a tutorial with a Language and Learning tutor, you'll need to:
- Click on MSC Bookings
- Choose the 'Language and Learning' option.
- Choose a day and time for your appointment using the calendar
- Complete the dialogue box with a clear description of the type of support you are seeking, and the paper/course, and the specific assignment you want help with.
What do I need to do before my appointment?
The Language and Learning Development tutors will expect you to:
- Prepare for your tutorial beforehand by thinking carefully about the type of help you require.
- Proofread your own written work carefully before you bring it to us for advice and feedback.
- Do the work we advise you to do after your tutorial so you can apply what you have learnt.
- Take responsibility for your own learning development by acting on the advice you are given.
Booking conditions (please read these carefully):
- You may book only one appointment a day.
- You may not book an appointment on the same day that an assignment is due.
- You may book a maximum of two appointments for an undergraduate assignment.
- You must bring a printout of your work - no electronic copies or laptops.
- We will not proofread your work for you.
- We will suggest ways that you can improve your work on your own.
Note: If you need to cancel a tutorial, please do this on line as soon as possible.
'Learning to Succeed' programme
Our 'Learning to Succeed' programme is offered each semester to students who are in their first semester at Waikato Management School. It will teach you about academic expectations and the different types of academic writing you will need to produce as part of your assignments. For further information visit 'MyWeb', 'MSC bookings', 'Language and Learning workshops'.
You can visit Language and Learning support at anytime. This site provides information on APA referencing, report writing, literature reviews and much more. It also provides links to other helpful learning sites around the world. If English is not your first language, or if you are a native speaker who wants to improve your language and learning skills, go to Guide to Grammar and Writing. This site is a fantastic, free resource and you will find a great deal of really useful material here.