Dr Chris Ackermann
Senior Lecturer in Accounting - Tauranga campus
Accounting; Financial Accounting; Management Accounting
Qualifications: PhD; PGDip (Internal Auditing); PGCert (Mgt) (HBS UK); CIA®; CGAP®; CCSA®
Contact DetailsEmail: email@example.com
Room: 4.03, Tauranga campus
Phone: +64 7 262 0554
Chris is a Senior Lecturer in accounting and a board certified internal auditor. He also holds board certifications in government auditing, and control-risk self assessment through the Institute of Internal Auditors in the USA.
He is passionate about accounting education and instilling the necessary technical knowledge in students. He enjoys teaching the technical aspects of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) on first and second year level, and also auditing practice in line with the International Standards of Auditing (ISA).
He is competent in quantitative, qualitative and mixed methods research. His research interest includes any matters relating to the practice of internal auditing, which includes the diverse involvement in internal control, risk management and governance.
Chris completed his master's degree in cost and management accounting, and his PhD in auditing, with a focus on internal audit functioning in the public sector.
Awards and recognitions:
- Winner - Divisional Teaching Excellence Award - Waikato Management School 2019
- Endorsed portfolio - University wide Teaching Excellence Award - 2019
- Endorsed portfolio - Nola Campbell Memorial eLearning Excellence Awards - 2020
Completed supervision (master's):
- Determinants of loan default by collateral lending group in micro-finance
- The required knowledge and skills for Integrated Reporting
- A technology based solution for the teaching of basic accounting principles (student completed with distinction)
- The impact of capital structure on the performance of the financial sector
- The state of IT Governance disclosure in JSE listed companies in SA
- Internal or external auditing
- Accounting education
Coovadia, H., & Ackermann, C. (2020). Integrating digital pedagogies into a typical student learning lifecycle and its effect on exam performance. Accounting Education, online. doi:10.1080/09639284.2020.1811993
Modisagae, K., & Ackermann, C. (2018). Determinants of defaulting by collateral lending groups in microfinancing: A probit regression approach. Acta Commercii, 18(1), 7 pages. doi:10.4102/ac.v18i1.562
Ackermann, C., & Erasmus, L. (2018). The Southern African Journal of Accountability and Auditing Research: A bibliometric review (1998-2017).. Southern African Journal of Accountability and Auditing Research, 20, 1-12.
Ackermann, C. (2017). Using triangulation to reveal gaps in internal audit’s disclosure practices with focus on its legal and regulatory mandate. Southern African Journal of Accountability and Auditing Research, 19, 49-58.
Find more research publications by Chris Ackermann