Facts and figures
We are proud of the accomplishments and success of our graduates from Waikato Management School.
Many have gone on to secure highly influential, senior positions in the business world, or have taken up academic positions at internationally prestigious universities around the world.
Student key statistics 2015 - 2017
|Students enrolled in a WMS qualification||3,332||3,323||3,348|
|International students enrolled in a WMS qualification||884||941||1,030|
|Percentage of male/female students enrolled at WMS||49:51||48:52%||47:53%|
(ie. Bachelor's, Graduate Diploma, Graduate Certificate, Diploma, or Certificate)
(ie. PhD, Master's, Honours, Postgraduate Diploma, or Postgraduate Certificate)
|Doctoral students (PhD)||113||128||124|
|Executive Education participants|
(ie. MBA, MBM, PGDipMgtSt, PGCertMgtSt)
- Students enrolled in a WMS qualification: A head count of all students enrolled in a WMS qualification who studied in the most recent year, irrespective of how many points were taken, or how many programmes were taken.
- International students: A head count of all international students (this figure does not include New Zealand Permanent Residents) enrolled in a WMS qualification who studied in the most recent year, irrespective of how many programmes were taken.
- Percentage of male/female students enrolled at WMS: A head count of all male and female students divided by the total head count of all students, multiplied by 100.
- Undergraduate students: A head count of all students enrolled in a WMS qualification that is classified as 'Undergraduate' (ie. Certificate, Diploma, Bachelor, GradCert and GradDip).
- Graduate students: A head count of all students in a WMS qualification that is classified as Postgraduate (ie. Honours, PGCert, PGDip, Masters, PhD).
- PhD students: A head count of all students enrolled in the faculty's PhD programme.
- Executive Education participants: A head count of all participants enrolled in a WMS postgraduate qualification that is related to Executive Education (ie. MBA, MBM, PGCertMgtSt or PGDipMgtSt)
Staff key statistics 2015 - 2017
|Professors and Associate Professors||44||44||39|
|Percentage of academic staff with a doctorate||88%||88%||88%|
|Percentage of academic staff who were born outside New Zealand||65%||67%||63%|
- Academic staff: The total number of acdemic staff who were employed in the most recent year, with a role of 'academic'. This figure does not include any staff with a title of 'Adjunct Professor', or staff we hire to teach in partnership programmes, or staff who are casually contracted to teach in Executive Education papers.
- Percentage of academic staff who were born outside New Zealand: This is based on classifying any academic who does not state their country of origin, or whose origin is unknown, as New Zealand born.
Student completion rates 2011-2017
|Bachelor of Business Analysis (BBA)||116||133||193||204||200||220||245|
|Bachelor of Communication Studies (BCS)||77||61||70||67||69||81||70|
|Bachelor of Electronic Commerce (BECom)||12||15||16||17||23||30||33|
|Bachelor of Entrepreneurship (BEntre)||-||-||-||-||1||1||5|
|Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS)||189||171||191||148||132||153||141|
Bachelor of Tourism (BTour)|
(Tourism and Hospitality Management)
|Bachelor with Honours degrees||94||88||75||64||52||64||56|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||34||35||40||32||32||46||25|
|Master of Business and Management (MBM)||24||25||30||27||23||125||76|
|Master of Digital Business (MDigiBus)|
(formerly Electronic Commerce)
|Master of Management Studies (MMS)||56||71||49||72||64||75||48|
|Master of Professional Accounting||-||-||-||-||-||11||17|
Postgraduate Diploma in Management|
or Management Studies
|Postgraduate Diploma in a specialist subject||86||112||46||45||15||18|
Student retention rates 2013 - 2017
|Bachelor with Honours degree||92.4%||88.5%||94.2%||97.7%||92.2%|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)||85.7%||93.1%||89.9%||95.3%||89.2%|
Student completion rates for Masters and Postgraduate Diplomas 2010-2015
MBA and PGDip(MgtSt):
- 79% of students had completed the MBA
- 69% had completed the MBA within two years
- 78% of students had completed the PGDip(MgtSt)
- 75% had completed the PGDip(MgtSt) within two years
- 8% of students were enrolled in the MBA and a lower postgraduate programme. Of these, 3% completed both programmes, 3% completed the MBA, and 2% completed the lower programme.
MMS, MDigiBus and PGDip with a specialist subject:
- 85% had completed a master's degree
- 80% had completed a master's degree within two years
- 72% had completed a PGDip with a specialist subject
- 71% had completed a PGDip with a specialist subject within two years
- 18% of students were enrolled in both a master's degree and a lower postgraduate programme. Of these, 8% completed both programmes, 7% completed the master's degree, and 3% completed the lower programme.
- 99% had completed the MBM within one year
- A postgraduate diploma (PGDip) is equivalent to the first 120 points of a masters degree.
- A master's programme is either 120, 180 or 240 points - depending on the admission qualification and the type of master's.
- It is possible to transfer from a PGDip/Honours to a Masters, and/or complete one or both programmes.
Waikato Management School Graduate Survey 2015
Waikato Management School undertakes a Graduate Survey every two to three years.
In 2015, 469 survey respondents reported they had not been in full-time employment during their studies.
Of these, 86% were seeking full-time employment at the end of their studies.
Of those who wished to secure full-time employment, 83% reported they were employed within 6 months of graduating.