Waikato - the business school of choice
Waikato Management School's purpose is 'Connecting, Learning, Transforming', with the goal to transform minds, careers and organisations.
We aim to be a business school of choice, respected globally for the excellence of our research, teaching and learning, enabling staff to make a difference, and proactive engagement with business, industry and government.
Our international connections mean our teaching and research is always at the cutting-edge of best business practice. And our engagement with commercial and professional stakeholders means our students are learning practical knowledge and skills.
The School's Business Advisory Board is made up of senior executives from throughout New Zealand to provide ongoing guidance to senior management on sector trends, programme relevance, and business strategy.
Waikato Management School will build its international scholarly reputation through investing initially in two areas: (1) Leading through Innovation, and (2) Responsible Management. Download our Strategic Plan 2017 - 2022.
Leading through Innovation
Waikato Management School will be known for advancing knowledge in the management of innovation and entrepreneurial practice, for developing leaders with a passion and expertise in leading innovation, and for enabling individuals and organisations to succeed through the power of innovation.
A distinctive presence in the Tauranga/Bay of Plenty region will further leverage our expertise in the management of innovation and entrepreneurial practice, particularly in emerging export-oriented industries, agri-technology, and marine systems.
Waikato Management School will be known for advancing knowledge that supports responsible management of organisations, and models the economic effects of environmental and social policies. Our research will enable individuals and organisations to improve the environmental, social and economic impacts of their actions.
Triple Crown Accreditation puts us in the top 1%
Waikato Management School is a member of an elite group of business schools that have earned Triple Crown Accreditation; an international acknowledgement of excellence in business education earned by only 1% of the world's business school's globally.
We are accredited to AACSB (The United States-based Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) as the world's longest-established assessor of business education, EQUIS (The European Quality Improvement System) and AMBA (The Association of MBAs).
We offer qualifications at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels. Our programmes are renowned for their practical focus, relevance to the real world and their foundation in leading-edge business research. First introduced in 1972, our four-year Bachelor of Management Studies with Honours degree remains highly sought after by employers.
We are committed to ensuring all students receive a practice-relevant, research-led education. The skills and curiosity of our students are developed through an education philosophy that promotes the ability to think independently and work collaboratively. Because our academics are active researchers, students are exposed to fresh ideas, emerging theory and real-world business cases during lectures.
We espouse the 'active learning' paradigm, in which teachers are facilitators of learning, and students and teachers are engaged in a joint process of discovery. Using a variety of teaching approaches, students participate in group work, case studies, interactive discussions and experiential learning.
- Waikato Management School Case Competition
- Work-Integrated Learning papers - 396 internship or 399 research project
- Communication Consulting Project - COMMS300
- Digital Business Enterprise Implementation - DIGIB304
- Events Management - PUBRL303
- Applied Project Management - PRMGT303
- Commercialising a New Venture - STMGT304
- Professional Internship - ACCTN583
- Professional Field Internship - DIGIB519
- Understanding Global Business Practice - MNMGT516
- Applied Research and Consultancy Practices - EXMBM531
- Integrative Learning Project ('Dragon's Den' competition) - EXMBM533
Sustainability is at the heart of good business
Our goal is to become a world-leading business school in the area of sustainability. We recognise that long-term business success depends not just on profit, but on responsiveness to resource, social and environmental issues.
Waikato Management School (WMS) plays a key role as an ethical and globally responsible business school making a significant contribution to sustainability. Making this a key focus in 2004, WMS was the first business school in New Zealand to embed sustainability within our education programmes. We were also the first Australasian business school to be accepted into the Academy of Business in Society (ABIS).
Our academic scholars have research interests and expertise in a wide range of sustainability issues, including climate change, social justice, circular economy, energy and biodiversity.
Our sustainability-focused qualifications include:
- Bachelor of Climate Change
This interdisciplinary degree is the first of its kind in the world. It combines scientific knowledge of the biophysical world with understanding of economic and political systems and the impacts on Māori, Pacific and Indigenous communities. Waikato Management School offers majors in economics, supply chain management and public relations as part of this new qualification.
- Master of Management Studies specialising in Management and Sustainability
This master's degree focuses on issues of environmental management, corporate social responsibility and the activities of firms, governments and other organisations.
- Master of Business AdministrationThe Waikato MBA places a strong focus on sustainability and is structured around three interdisciplinary areas - frameworks, leadership and value creation. Each area imparts the knowledge and skills that today's leaders require as they face unprecedented disruption and digital transformation in the 21st century.
We have alliances with a number of international universities and our faculty are drawn from the best universities around the world. As a global business school competing in a global market for education and research, our focus is both international and national.
We play a significant role on the international scene through world leading research, strong links to multinational companies and major universities, and education that equips participants for the global business environment. Our faculty bring the rich experience gained through international research and consulting connections to their teaching.
Our faculty are active researchers. Their research underpins their teaching to ensure our students are exposed to fresh ideas and up-to-date knowledge. As a result, our graduates are better equipped to engage with, and lead changes, in the theory and practice of their chosen disciplines.
- Original case studies researched and written for classroom teaching.
- All papers offered in the School link to faculty research and expertise, ensuring student access to faculty research.
Our students graduate with an intellectual curiosity, and a broad understanding of management theories and the ability to develop, evaluate and critique management reports and presentations.
- New Zealand's only university degree which meets the complete academic requirements of Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ) for accounting, business and liberal content.
- We are the only university in New Zealand offering a four-year degree - the Bachelor of Management Studies with Honours - that enables students to gain a broader understanding of business, along with the leadership, problem-solving and critical thinking skills required to deal with an increasingly complex environment.
- Our unique Master of Digital Business degree combines management and computer science.
- We specialise in interdisciplinary research with colleagues from other schools within The University of Waikato and at other New Zealand and overseas universities.
We are a management school, incorporating the best of a world-class business school with an emphasis on people and performance. We are committed to sustainable success in all enterprises and organisations, including the public sector, not-for-profits and community organisations.
- Our students gain a comprehensive understanding of management across all functions and areas of business, organisations and society
- WMS has a significant research agenda and PhD programme in social enterprise, community organisation and not-for-profit management.
Our business expertise is highly sought-after by industry and corporate partners. Our academic staff consult to major companies and sit alongside senior executives on advisory boards and government taskforces.
Waikato Management School offers an extensive range of executive qualifications, ranging from the Waikato MBA through to tailored training programmes and executive short courses for large corporate organisations and SMEs.
Staff are encouraged to generate their own ideas, think creatively with respect to technology and collaborate within a team to ensure electronic support and delivery of papers.
- All papers are web-supported. Students can access paper outlines and content, assignment information and marks, email their class mates, and use online communication tools
- Some programmes are delivered fully online.