Discover SWUFE Summer Camp Scholarship
The Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp Scholarship 2019 is now open for applications! The closing date for applications is Friday, 15 March.
Waikato Management School is offering two lucky students an all-expenses-paid trip to China from 14 to 27 July 2019 to take part in this year's 'Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp'.
You'll enjoy an extraordinary two-week programme of business lectures, sightseeing and cultural activities, hosted by the Southwestern University of Finance and Economics (SWUFE), one of China's leading business schools.
SWUFE is located in Chengdu, the rapidly growing capital city of Sichuan province, known internationally for its rich cultural history, unique Sichuan foods, and being home to the giant panda, as well as famous Buddhist and Taoist temples.
This is an amazing opportunity for two undergraduate management students (BBus, BBA, BCS, BMS or BMS(Hons)) to experience an authentic taste of modern Chinese life, as well as Chinese culture, business, economics and history.
You'll also get to make friends with a diverse, talented group of around 90 international students from 30 countries all over the world.
Please note that you don't need to be studying Finance or Economics to apply for this scholarship - all majors are welcome!
What is the SWUFE experience like?
You can read here about the experiences of students from Waikato Management School who have previously attended the Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp:
- Honour Israel-Schuchardt - BMS (Finance and Strategic Management)
- Codi Merito - BBA (Economics and Agribusiness)
- Jack Montgomerie - BBA (Finance and Economics)
- Natascha Levande - BBA (Accounting)
- Garth Tunnicliffe - BCS (Public Relations and Leadership Communication)
- Harsimran Mahal - BMS(Hons)/LLB(Hons) in Accounting and Law
- Brittany Oliver - BMS (Marketing)
To be considered for the Discover SWUFE Scholarship, you must:
- Be a full-time, undergraduate Waikato Management School student in 2nd year or above
- Be enrolled in either the Bachelor of Business (BBus), Bachelor of Business Analysis (BBA), Bachelor of Communication Studies (BCS), Bachelor of Management Studies (BMS) or the Bachelor of Management Studies with Honours (BMS(Hons)).
- Have already completed at least 120 points towards your degree (eg. eight 100-level papers, worth 15 points each)
- Have a grade-point average of at least B+ (75-79%)
- Be a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be willing to take photos/videos of your experience in China, and write a short blog for the WMS website once you return home.
Programme of activities
The theme of this year's Discover SWUFE International Summer Camp 2019 is Global New Trends in Finance and Economics (PDF).
The following activities are included:
- Attend lectures at SWUFE about Chinese history, politics, culture and economic development - delivered in English
- Visit world heritage sites such as the Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuary, the famous Wuhou Shrine, Mount Qingcheng, the Giant Buddha at Leshan, and much more
- Chinese cooking and calligraphy workshops
- Enjoy a traditional Sichuan theatre mask changing and fire performance
- Visits to local businesses in Chengdu
- Free time for shopping and sightseeing
Each scholarship includes your course fees, accommodation, meals, and organised group excursions to a variety of tourist attractions. Waikato Management School will pay for your flights to/from China.
You will be responsible for paying any costs related to your visa application and travel/health insurance.
How to apply
To apply for this once-in-a-lifetime experience, please email the information below to Lingling Pan (manager of WMS International Programme) at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 15 March 2019.
- A 200-word personal statement outlining the reasons for your interest in China and the SWUFE summer camp
- A written nomination (up to 200 words) from one of your lecturers in Waikato Management School
- A copy of your ‘GPA letter’ and ‘Results notice’ to show you have a grade-point average (GPA) of at least B+ or 6.0 (75-79%)**. For copies of these, please visit the University Student Centre, or email email@example.com
** Your GPA for this scholarship will be based on the new grading scale, for details click here.
Successful applicants will be notified by Waikato Management School by 31 March 2019. If you are successful, you will then be required to complete the official SWUFE online application form by 30 April 2019. Lingling will provide details on how to do this at the time.
WMS International Exchange Scholarship
If you are not successful in being chosen for a SWUFE scholarship this year, please consider applying for a WMS International Exchange Scholarship instead.
This prestigious scholarship provides up to $2,500 to help you study for 1-2 semesters at one of Waikato's partner universities in more than 20 countries across Europe, Asia, North America and Mexico. You'll pay the same fees as usual, and can credit the points back to your degree at Waikato!
Waikato Management School allocates 12 exchange scholarships to our students each year. Applications are due by 15 March for exchanges in B Semester; and mid-September for exchanges in A Semester.
Please note: Before applying, you'll first need to be formally accepted into the University of Waikato's Student Exchange programme, which is based in the International Office.