Work Integrated Learning (WIL) at WMS
Developing New Zealand's best business graduate talent
At Waikato Management School, we pride ourselves on preparing our students to thrive in the workplace by developing their applied skills in business, critical thinking, innovation, and communication.
We offer two different options for work-integrated learning (WIL) papers - either the 396 internship or the 399 research project - which are a compulsory practical aspect of the BBus, BMS(Hons) and BCS degrees.
The best paper for you will depend on your personality and personal strengths.
Watch the presentation given by Stephen Bowden on work-integrated learning below, or you can review the slides here.
The 396 provides students exciting opportunities to undertake a real-world project for a business, students are immersed in the business to conduct the research and present solutions for fixing the problem. In some instances students are also responsible for the implementation of their recommended solutions.
The project you undertake will provide you with an opportunity to combine your learning so far at university. The report you will complete for the organisation makes up a significant part of your assessed component.
Which paper should I enrol in?
- WSAFE396: Choose this paper if you are majoring in either Accounting, Finance or Economics
- WSOMM396: Choose this paper if you are majoring in either Digital Business, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Strategic Management, Supply Chain Management, or Tourism and Hospitality Management.
Can I find my own? Of course, we recommend not using a family business, as the point is to build networks, but if you have a company that has offered you an internship, you will need to run it by us. New companies need to fill out two different forms, and there is also an information sheet here for new businesses.
To enrol in the paper WSAFE396/596 or WSOMM396/596 if you have sourced your own internship:
- Please have your organisation complete the project brief form and the information required form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- If you have a corporate placement internship eg EY, Fonterra, Toll etc, please email a copy of your contract letter with the start date to email@example.com.
- Once you receive an email saying you are approved, go to MyWaikato and use the special permissions link. Add the 396/596 paper you require.
The 399 is a research project undertaken by a student with academic supervision. This project aims to solve a ‘problem’ and should be related to a company or industry that this might impact.
It provides students with the opportunity to complete a significant body of work with academic merit. Before undertaking a 399/599, students first need to discuss a topic that interests them with their supervisor or subject convener.
Which paper should I enrol in?
- WSAFE399: Choose this paper if you are majoring in either Accounting, Finance or Economics
- WSOMM399: Choose this paper if you are majoring in either Digital Business, Human Resource Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Strategic Management, Supply Chain Management, or Tourism and Hospitality Management.
How do I come up with my topic? Your topic should be an area related to your major subject that is of specific interest and relevant in some way to either a specific business, industry or greater business community.
What do I do to start? You need to fill in a proposal form, identifying your topic and get in touch with your department's 399/599 convenor. They will allocate a supervisor to you.
Once you have a supervisor who has approved your topic and you have a start date for your 399/599, you should enrol in the paper using the special permissions link on MyWaikato. Put your start date and supervisor in the notes section.
Great! Now you are set to go.
How long is it? Your enrolment period is 17 weeks. Your dates for the 399 /599 project are set once your proposal has been approved and the supervisor has been assigned to you. Revisions of the topic with your supervisor's help are included in the 17 weeks you have to complete the full report. Please note that your draft report should be submitted to your supervisor and a second assessor one month prior to this end date.
When does it start? 399/599 papers can be taken in A, B or C trimesters.
Who are the people to contact?
- School of Management and Marketing (Digital Business, Human Resource Management, International Management, Leadership Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, Strategic Management, Supply Chain Management, Tourism & Hospitality Management)
For questions, expressions of interest or further information please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org